This post has already been read 9540 times!
The SmartBall® Pipe Wall Assessment (PWA) tool is a free-swimming technology used to identify stress in the pipe wall of pressurized metallic pipelines.
PWA technology builds on and has been incorporated into Pure’s SmartBall inline leak detection platform. The SmartBall platform has been widely used by utilities around the world to identify leaks and gas pockets. The technology has been improved to detect wall stress — areas of the pipe wall with damage will be under more stress than areas with limited or no damage.
SmartBall PWA Capabilities
- Identify each pipe joint and most appurtenances, valves etc.
- Identify material changes, repairs
- Identify damaged pipes
- Estimate the damage levels of those pipes indicate the position along each pipe where damage is located
- Estimate when damage is at the crown of the pipe
- Precisely indicate the position of each damaged pipe relative to known points
The SmartBall PWA tool can complete long assessment surveys in a single deployment without disruption to regular pipeline service. The tool is inserted into a live pipeline and travels with the product flow for up to twelve hours while collecting pipe wall data and listening for leaks at the same time. It requires only two access points; one for insertion and one for extraction and is tracked throughout the inspection as it passes available access points on the pipeline.
The graphic below shows the PWA data that correlates with a damaged section of 24-inch cast iron pipe.